The two and a half year renovation on The Wilkins House is finally finished. The home was originally constructed in 1878 for William T. Wilkins, a Spartanburg native who helped supply the region’s booming textile industry, and his wife.
This historic landmark was leased to a funeral home from 1930 to 1990 then became an antique shop and wedding venue. In 2013, the home was saved from being demolished and replaced with a nursing home/assisted living center.
Neil Wilson, owner of RealtyLink, bought the property and transferred from its Augusta Street location to 105 Mills Avenue in 2014 with help from donors and The Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation. The restoration included a lot of repairs to brick and plaster as well as removing 30 layers of interior and exterior paint but kept the “character-defining features”.